PAP's Koh Poh Koon describes himself as a man who wants to get things done






SINGAPORE: Someone who wants to get things done and done effectively.

That's how Dr Koh Poh Koon describes himself, believing these traits can help him contribute as the People's Action Party's (PAP) candidate for the Punggol East by-election.

Despite being a new face in the constituency, Dr Koh feels that many residents have warmed up to him.

Despite having only been introduced to Punggol East voters recently, Dr Koh already looks comfortable interacting with the residents. That's because he said, communicating with people comes as second nature given his profession as a surgeon.

"My job as a doctor has allowed me to really be connecting to strangers that just walk into my clinic and within five minutes we've established a rapport.

"They put their lives in my hands to operate for them so I think building up a rapport with people and gaining their trust is something that comes naturally to me because of my training and my profession.

"And I think my personality and disposition does make it easier as well. Be sincere, be yourself, never be a different person, life gets miserable when you put up a facade.

"Second thing, be sincere and ernest and I think people will be able to listen and they can feel it and that much I learned from my patients".

Dr Koh may have been a grassroots volunteer for the last 11 years. But a recent meeting with a low-income Punggol East resident convinced him that he has made the right choice to stand as a PAP candidate in this by-election.

"He said doctor, we don't want handouts, help us get a breakthrough, break our poverty cycle and that really struck me that helping people really goes beyond giving handouts. It's about putting in place programmes that give people a break in life, giving people a future, that there's hope."

Connecting with the residents is of utmost importance to Dr Koh, prompting him to share his humble childhood experience.

"The way to understand a person is to know what he's made of, you need to know where he came from and that's the way of putting forward my life for residents to understand what makes me tick and I think that has achieved some resonance with the residents."

Dr Koh already has plans to provide new services such as daycare for the elderly and health screening programmes within a soon-to-be built community centre.

- CNA/ck



You're reading an article about
PAP's Koh Poh Koon describes himself as a man who wants to get things done
This article
PAP's Koh Poh Koon describes himself as a man who wants to get things done
can be opened in url
http://newsoaken.blogspot.com/2013/01/pap-koh-poh-koon-describes-himself-as.html
PAP's Koh Poh Koon describes himself as a man who wants to get things done